Deportation Defense

If you or a loved one have been arrested by immigration, placed into immigration court proceedings, or are told that you need to appear in front of an immigration judge, you should hire an attorney to assist you in court. The government will not provide you with an attorney, and the immigration laws are extremely complicated. In addition, immigration law is constantly changing, and it is important to have someone in your corner who has specialized knowledge in immigration law.

If you have received a notice to appear before an Immigration Judge, you must attend your court date. If you do not attend, the Immigration Judge will order you deported and ICE officials will come to your house, arrest you, and deport you. There are very limited options to reopen your case if you have missed your court hearing. No matter what anyone tells you- a friend, a family member, or a notario- you must go to immigration court.

In immigration court, you will have the opportunity to request relief from deportation. Applications for relief include, but are not limited to, Cancellation of Removal, Adjustment of Status, Asylum, Withholding of Removal, protection under the Convention Against Torture, NACARA, Voluntary Departure, and various other applications. Each application is different and has separate requirements. Some applications result in a green card if you are successful in your case.

There is also the possibility that immigration proceedings have been commenced against you in error. If either of your parents are citizens of the United States, there is a possibility that you might be a derivative citizen. If you are a citizen of the United States, immigration proceedings cannot be held against you. However, there are times when the United States government erroneously initiates proceedings against citizens.

If you’ve ever been arrested or convicted of a crime in the United States, it is very important that you seek legal advice. There are many criminal offenses that will jeopardize your immigration status in the United States. The best way to stop deportation is to contact an immigration lawyer.

If you or a loved one has been placed in immigration court, it is critical to have a strong deportation defense. Do not delay. Consult with an immigration lawyer before going up against the United States government and fight to stay in the United States. Often times a case does not seem to offer much hope but the laws are constantly evolving and changing, and down the road, new options can present themselves. Never give up on keeping your family together.