Do I qualify for President Obama’s law? Back in June of 2012, President Obama through an Executive Order, provided millions of people with relief. The Dream Act or DACA and also referred to as Deferred Action, allowed so many young people who entered the country as children to be able to stay and work in the United States. This type of relief provides a work permit or employment authorization and travel parole, so you are allowed to leave the country and legally re-enter. Although it is not a green card, it provides a lot of the same benefits. And many times, this process will allow you to open the door to a green card. You need the following to qualify:
- It doesn’t matter how old you are, this is a big change!
- You must have arrived in the United States before your sixteenth birthday
- Needed to continuously lives in the United States from January 1, 2010
- Show proof that you were present in the United States on June 15, 2012
- Be enrolled in a school program or show evidence of completion of high school or GED
- Your card will last 3 years and you can renew it after that.