Immigration and asylum issues have become increasingly controversial as the government has moved to the far right in its strategy for handling these extremely complex questions. However, as an immigration attorney in Oxnard I can assure you that I and others are pursuing legal remedies to the injustices that immigrants face daily through the court system. Here are just a few of the legal challenges that my colleagues have brought in defense of the constitution and in order to protect immigrants.
- L v. ICE: This suit was filed by the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) and seeks to reunite an asylum-seeking mother with her 7-year old daughter. The two were fleeing violence in the Democratic Republic of Congo and were ultimately separated in the US. The suit alleges that the government violated due process in its handling of this matter.
- Peter Sean Brown v. Richard Ramsay: Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP filed a suit on behalf of a natural-born US citizen – one Peter Sean Brown – who had been unlawfully detained by ICE agents and subjected to emotional and psychological trauma from his imprisonment. He would have been wrongfully deported if not for the intervention of a friend who presented his Brown’s birth certificate to an ICE agent.
- Grace v. Whitaker: This case involved the “expedited removal” policy of the current administration. The American Civil Liberties Union, Center for Gender & Refugee Studies, the ACLU of Texas, and the ACLU of D.C. filed a suit which challenged this policy as it subjects asylum seekers to dangers from domestic violence and even gang brutality.
- Hamama v. Adducci: Immigration and Customs Enforcement has been in the news quite a bit lately for its practices and alleged abuses of immigrant. This case involves the arrest of more than 100 Iraqis – many have been in the U.S. for years. This raid occurred throughout the city of Detroit.
- United States of America v. State of California: This case involves the government’s lawsuit against California’s sanctuary laws. The ACLU has actively sought to protect what are known as the California Values Act. This Act protects immigrants from dragnets and other deportation actions.
This is just a small sample of the legal actions that have arisen as result of the wrongheaded immigration policies of the current administration. If you are asking yourself the question “where is an immigration lawyer near me,” I can and other organizations can help.