All About Dual Citizenship

All About Dual Citizenship

One of the more fascinating aspects of immigration law is ‘dual nationality’ or citizenship. Dual citizenship means that a person is a national of two countries at the same time. Why would someone want to claim citizenship in two countries? For one thing, people who have this status enjoy being able to travel back and forth freely between the two countries, vote and otherwise take advantage of the rights of citizens in both countries. For another, they may simple not wish to sever all ties to the country of their birth. Whatever the reason may be, some people choose to seek this status. Let’s look at the process of applying for dual citizenship and use three countries – Canada, Mexico and the Philippines – as examples.


You would think that because Canada and the United States share a common border and have been allies and trading partner for so long that each country grants special immigration rights to its citizenship regarding the other country. This is not so. Before applying for dual citizenship, Canadians must spend years here as a legal resident before they can apply for citizenship here as well. (You must also have demonstrated good moral character and not run afoul of the law.) However, if one of your parents was born here and the other in Canada, you may automatically qualify for dual citizenship. Check with an attorney if you are unsure.


The process of naturalization in Mexico is managed by the Secretaría de Relaciones Exteriores (SRE). Obtaining dual Mexican citizenship is a complicated process. You must first check to see if you are from a country that even allows dual citizenship. Next, you must have permanent resident status in Mexico. Then, you must present your birth certificate and the birth certificate of your Mexican parents to the proper officials. (Yours should be translated and apostilled.) Again, it is very important to consult with an attorney first. If you are local resident you should could with an immigration lawyer in Van Nuys.dual

The Philippines

Just as is the case with Canada, one can be a dual citizen at birth if one parent was born in the United States and the other was born in the Philippines. If you seeking more information on whether a child qualifies in this way it is a good idea to check with an attorney and with the Philippine Embassy or Consulate. Otherwise you must first be a permanent resident of the Philippines and be able to prove this with the proper documentation before applying for dual citizenship.

In short, applying for dual citizenship can be rather complicated such is the case with much of immigration law. That is why you should never assume anything. If you are asking yourself where there is an immigration lawyer near me, then I can help you. I am Erika Roman.

Share this post