Cancellation of Removal

What do you need to apply or qualify for Cancellation of Removal? If you don’t have a green card, in order to qualify, you need to have lived at least ten years in the United States before you enter removal proceedings, have “good moral character,” and have either a United States citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident spouse, child, or parent. You must also demonstrate extreme and unusual hardship to your family if you are removed from the country. After you submit your application, you can get your work permit.

If you already have a green card, in order to pursue this application, you need to have your green card for at least 5 years and have been present in the United States for at least 7 years. The Judge will look at how your family will be affected if you are deported. The judge will weigh the positive equities in your case versus the negative factors. If the judge decides that the positives outweigh the negatives, you will be able to keep your Green Card and later apply for citizenship.