How to Prepare for Your Initial Consultationerikaadmin
After you have decided that you may need legal representation, you have the opportunity to call me and set up a free consultation. This is the opportunity for us to discuss the merits of your case and to you to see the two of us are a match. Thus, the better prepared you are, the less time it will take for me to understand and help you resolve your legal issue. This could result in savings to you and a better chance that we will be compatible. Here are some ways in which you may wish to prepare for this all-important first meeting.
- Bring all documents: Make sure that you have copies of any and all documents you have received relating to your case. This includes but is not limited to government notices, correspondence, tickets, emails, forms, notices, etc. These records will give me a clear understanding on where you case is, whether or not I can help and what my strategy might be.
- Be honest: Dishonesty is a poor way to start a relationship. Withholding information from your attorney can lead to a whole host of additional legal problems once I begin to represent you. Rest assured that any and all conversations you share with me are confidential. This is by law. I am not allowed to disclose said conversations without your permission.
- Take notes: Although the initial consultation is not meant to resolve your legal problems, I will make comments and suggestions to you that may be noteworthy. Consider bringing a legal pad with you and taking notes as we discuss your case.
- Listen carefully: What I bring to the table is years of experience handling issues that will probably be not unlike your own. Be sure that you pay attention to all that is said and that you ask questions about issues or statements that you do not understand.
- Ask questions: Only by asking questions can you increase your understanding of what is going on with and what is likely to happen with your case. Questions you may wish to ask include:What is the likely cost of pursuing my case? What are the strengths and weaknesses of my case? Have you handled similar cases in the past? How long will it take for the case to be resolved?
Again, by taking the time to prepare for this initial free consultation in the above ways you can increase the chances that we will be able to work together for our mutual benefit. As an immigration attorney in Oxnard, I am proud to offer my services to those who may feel that their legal situation is otherwise hopeless. I am attorney Erika Roman and I look forward to helping you navigate our complex immigration system.