The 5 Most Anti-Immigrant US Politicianserikaadmin
When most people think of the drastic changes that have either occurred or are being considered with regards to immigrants and their families in the US, they think of one person – Donald J. Trump. However, the president’s voice on immigration is simply the shrillest. He is joined by a chorus of politicians who have expressed their disdain for immigrants whether they are here legally or not. Here are a few members of that choir.
- Steve King: This eight-term Iowa congressman is known for his racist, anti-immigrant rants as well as his attack on other minority groups. He was the progenitor of the “build the wall” movement and has proudly claimed this title. He has even suggested that such a wall be electrified. Finally, he has made comments on Twitter like “Cultural suicide by demographic transformation must end.” Recently, some politicians in his party have even begun to denounce this man who has long been opposed to any and all immigrants.
- Paul Gosar: This congressman for Arizona once suggested that lawyers who help undocumented immigrants be arrested and face prosecution. His extreme views have even caused some in his own family to denounce him as a racist. Unfortunately, he still holds a seat in the Congress and is unlikely to be defeated soon.
- Tom McClintock: This Republican has steadfastly defended the administration’s family separation policy. He is the only California lawmaker to actually earn high praise from anti-immigration groups such as Numbers USA. Numbers USA is a group that seeks to reduce both illegal and legal immigration.
- Brian Kemp: This Republican governor from the state of Georgia has deemed himself as a “politically incorrect conservative” who has said that he would like to deport undocumented immigrants personally. His ad for governor was full of bluster (a shotgun) about immigration and “family values.”
- Ron DeSantis: This current governor of Florida has rallied against sanctuary cities and echoes the president’s stance on immigration. He recently defeated African American Democrat Andrew Gillum for that seat.
Thus, the opposition to immigration runs deep among US politicians. I, attorney Erika Roman, and my fellow immigration attorneys will not let this deter us in our fight to represent immigrants. I vow to stand by my clients and protect the constitution as an immigration attorney in Oxnard.